Saturday, February 8, 2014

Stick it - 2006


I have seen this movie a couple times and we decided to watch it again tonight. This is your classic troubled teenager Haley Graham, (Missy Peregrym), finds her niche. Haley does a great disaffected teen routine. I love Jeff Bridges as he plays Burt Vickerman, the gymnastic coach. The movie really is casted very well.

Burt starts to turn her around after talking with her at Cadillac Bobs cafe. She starts participating in the exercises. Just before the internal competition to determine who would go the meet there is a line I really love about don't let the leotards fool you, gymnasts are more elite than Navy Seals, there are about 2,000 Seals, but only 200 world class gymnasts. I have no idea if it is true, but it is a great line. 

The choreography as they are preparing for the meet is really excellent, it is a combination of great "tricks" as they call them as special effects.

Good movies, movies you want to watch again play to your emotions. When she walked out of the meet, I felt a lot of sadness while being hopeful that she would turn it around. Of course having seen the movie before I had reason for hope. 

After Burt's accident, when they go out, and they are in the prom dresses doing gymnastics was very rich imagery. 

Haley's narration before the start of Worlds was excellent. I loved this line, "Four events, four judges per event, that equals sixteen judges to tell us how much we suck." The end of the movie? Shall we just say the end is "revolting", but you will have to watch it to see what I mean.

Parents, I am not sure this movie is appropriate for a two year old kid, but for a tween or teen, it should be required viewing. It meets all the criteria to be on our bookshelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment