Sunday, August 2, 2015

Tortilla Soup

I first became aware of Hector Elizondo in Pretty Woman, (and I still think that is his best role, though I love him in this movie).

True confession, I am a sucker for cooking centered movies. I think about new dishes all the time and if it wasn't so much work, I would open a restaurant.

The family dynamics are incredible. The food prep scenes are exciting. The dynamic between two cooks, father, (traditional), and daughter, (more modern/fusion) is really fun and. The troubleshooting scene at the beginning of the movie is fantastic.

I have seen this movie twice before and will almost certainly see it again. I think it is OK for the whole family. Parents may want to pre-screen, there is an underage girl drinking wine, there is the appearance of sex, but unless you are limited to the Sound of Music, it should be fine. But, they did cast Rachel Welch!

The food and menus were created by Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger. Clearly they are not latinos, but they surely delivered! I surely hope to visit Border Grill and Ciudad Restaurants next time I am in LA.  And if I have the chance, I hope to take a class from Monique King.

No comments:

Post a Comment