Tuesday, August 25, 2015

The Holiday - Incredibly well casted

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. I have probably seen it a dozen times and I am still teasing out new insights. I like to watch it with Spanish subtitles on so that I can can hear what was said, but also see how they would choose to translate it.

Jack Black, Cameron Diaz, Jude Law and Kate Winslet deliver a flawless performance, that rare combination of talent, good screen play, and pinging off each other. I liked Jack Black in this movie and I do not tend to like Jack Black.

The two lovely ladies in the movie have just been in failed relationships. They are very different and from very different backgrounds. As they are trying to figure out how to spend the holidays right after the breakup, they end up swapping houses. The movie starts out a bit slow, but stick with it. I am usually careful about pointing out scenes to avoid a spoiler, but a few of my favorite will be coming. They are:

The break up of Amanda, (Cameron Diaz) and Ethan, (Edward Burns), is great. I love this spunky version of Diaz. In the "Did you sleep with her" discussion, do not miss the gardener trying to wave Ethan off.

Amanda's first night in Iris house and Iris brother, Graham shows up pissed, (no not angry, too much time at the pub). The kiss part of this is really well done and yes, for those who know me, this scene is running through my mind when I say, "Is that a trick question?"

Any and all of the scenes with Arthur.

When Amanda comes to visit Graham's house, the whole time, don't miss the hand holding or not scene in the tent, hmmmmm.

But for me, the movie rental store is the top!

OK, the family friendly thing. This is a classy movie, as far from Fast Times at Ridgemont High as the Middle East is from peace and stability. That said, there are certainly adult themes.

Will I watch it again? Of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment