Sunday, August 9, 2015

McLintock - John Wayne 1963

This is a Western comedy is you can imagine that. There are some of the classic stereotypes regarding Chinese and American Indians. The plot runs along the Taming of the Shrew with Maureen O'Hara as the shrew. In addition to the stars, Stefanie Powers as Becky McLintock, and Patrick Wayne, (yes, he is the Duke's second son), as Devlin Warren give pretty pretty solid performances.

The hang the Indian fight scene is a classic. It is on a hill with a muddy pond at the bottom. I love the father daughter inheritance discussion. The Comanche speech really hits home. I came to the same conclusion with my own son. I can't share my favorite scene without spoiler risk.

By the way, this movie is in the public domain, but the music is copyrighted if you can figure that out.

Is it family friendly? Well it is a John Wayne movie from 1963, so unless Finding Nemo is your limit, you should be OK. There are fisticuffs throughout and you do see some bru And it is one of the great Westerns of the 1960s.

I have seen this movie before and I do think I will watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment