Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Vanilla Skies - 2001

This blog post is not a review or a plot description, this is a record of how the movie made me feel.

This is my first time to see this movie. In the beginning of the movie I empathized with David, (Tom Cruise).  I can remember when I would pick the grey hairs from my beard, like fast cars, and also have a Mustang GT 5.0. I was also a sleep deprived senior executive that didn't fit the mold.

The near accident scared the heck out of me.

By the time we get to the birthday party I was totally confused. When he chose to pick up 
Brian Shelby's girl, Sofia Serrano (Penélope Cruz), I found myself not liking David anymore. The Cameron Dias car off the bridge scene was pretty strange and now I don't know what I feel. Actually thinking about turning the movie off.

The next few scenes are an emotional roller coaster for me, do I like David? No. I understand that he has been through a lot, but the movie starts to get to be painful to watch and listen to. Nothing like what David had to go though, but I have had some significant setbacks of late and yet try to be graceful to those around me.

Not going to go any further into the plot, but reality can sometimes be elusive. Will this stay in the library? I simply do not know, Kathy said it best, this is a strange movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment