Thursday, January 16, 2014

Leap Year - 2010

This blog post is not a review or a plot description, this is a record of how the movie made me feel.

This is going to be short.  I have seen this movie before and love it. It is a romantic comedy and the first  1/3 of the movie is disaster after disaster. I would have a cardiac. But it is funny and having seen the movie before, makes the craziness less stressful, in fact, downright enjoyable. I call this type of movie a "hockey stick"; learned the term from Dr. Eric Cole, a SANS Instructor. He is also the primary author of SANS' flagship course, SEC 401,  Security Essentials, which is a tough course to maintain; ask me how I know, *smile*.

Think about the Nike Swoosh.  From left to right it goes down, then hits bottom and works its way up. For me, the bottom is just before the bed and breakfast scenes. Now there will still be twists and turns,  (lots of them), but they start to move up.

Eric taught me that any presentation to senior management should include a hockey stick, "We encountered some difficulties then made some adjustments to turn things around and now we are not only on the road to recovery, but we see an opportunity for further improvement ahead.

Well this is the hockey stick of love and it is a well done presentation.  I treasure the scenery, the interplay and when the bus and coffee scene happens, I find I am rooting for the couple and the movie even throws in a romantic song. By the time they get to Dublin, I am really rooting for them. One of the things I like about the movie is how it depicts marriage, so many long time couples are in the movie, loved the kissing scene at the B&B.

I am deeply thankful to have this movie in our library and certainly intend to watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment