Sunday, January 19, 2014

Gran Tourino - 2008


This blog post is not a review or a plot description, this is a record of how the movie made me feel.

I have never seen this movie before. Walt Kowalski, (Clint Eastwood) is a combat veteran and a very cynical person. I suppose the intent is to have us not like the character, but I have seen him as a grumpy, dangerous person before and I kind of like the way he plays the role. I can almost hear him say, "Do you feel lucky punk".

I enjoyed seeing him stand up to the first gang with an M1 Garand and the second, with an M911A1. I love all the dialogs between Walt and Sue, (Ahney Her), his neighbor that ignores all the slights and dishes them right back. He has a similar relationship with his barber. Kind of reminds me of Grumpy Old Men. 

I felt serious empathy with the relationship between Walt and the young boy next door, Thao, (Bee Vang), that they are trying to induct into a local gang. I loved the "I take the top or I'm out of here" line where Thao finally shows some pluck. That warmed my heart. 

By the time we get to the barber ship scene where Walt and Martin teaching Thao, "man talk", I am really loving the movie and the interplay. To be honest I did not expect it to be either heart warming or funny, that is in between scenes of violence. 

I don't like spoilers, but I will say that the movies packages its ending up very well. I am glad this one in in our library and will look forward to seeing this again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment