Saturday, January 25, 2014

Love is all there is - 1996

This blog post is not a review or a plot description there are plenty of those, this is a record of how the movie made me feel.

I had not seen the movie before and didn't know anything about the plot line. It was a a far piece into the movie when I finally figured where they were taking the movie.

I loved the opening. The narration is very well done. Listen carefully to the opening, she says "subtle" in a way we used as an inside joke.

Some of the outfits Sadie and Mona are wearing in the beginning are just a scream, clearly the folks putting this on have a sense of humor. The naked candles were another hilarious touch.  The interplay between Sadie, (Lainie Kazan, from Big Fat Greek Wedding), and Mona, (Renee Taylor, who co-wrote the script and plays the psychic.

The movie does make me laugh. It is not the funniest thing I have ever seen, in fact it gets a bit slow from time to time. That said, I love remakes of the great themes, I think I have five or six Camelot/King Arthur films and three Robin Hoods. It never occurred to me someone would attempt a comedy version of the Romeo and Juliet.

There are some great dialog scenes in the kitchen catering that is a high point of the movie. If you liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding, you might like this. If you are Italian, you probably will enjoy the movie.

We paid $3.00 at a second hand shop for a 3 movie DVD with Angela Jolie, this was one of them. I think I will watch it again. Oh, by the way, some of the reviews say there is nudity in the film. Not to say they are wrong, but I sure did not see any. However, there is a sense of pre-marital sex that parents should be aware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment