Thursday, September 3, 2015

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps - Michael Douglas

The cameo appearance by Cramer says it all. And in addition Susan Sarandon as Jake's mother, Warren Buffet, Jake Chanos and Graydon Carter as themselves and Eli Wallach, (from the Holidays). What a cast and I just touched the surface.

Do I enjoy the movie? Not really, too close to home. There are some terribly bright spots. "What is your number, I find everyone has a number, what it will take to walk away, what is yours?" "More." Later in the movie, Charlie Sheen has an uncredited walk on part and he did make his number and did walk away. He was not so greedy he had to have more. And the speech by Michael Douglas, where he makes the famous acronym NINA famous, but as NINJA, No Income, No Job, no Assets, was fantastic.

If you are here by way of LinkedIn, NINJA is why I put the post up. I am forced to attend meetings where I hear that we are short of tens of thousands of cybersecurity jobs. I am told that we need people that have skills, hard, technical, hands-on skills. Yet recently, I posted some of those jobs. they got hits, but they got far less hits than my Ashley Madison post. Is a cybersecurity bubble even possible? PANW is at $162 a share and they aren't even earnings positive, FEYE with a market cap of 6B, same story. Worth watching!

Try to make it to chapter 17, (I think I have that right). The "Too big to fail" section. Yes, this is fiction, but it is not so far from the truth. My son, yes that transitioned Marine son, bought me the book. He knew that since it was a gift I would have to read it. Made me want to invest in Green Stamps, (the original bitcoin and just as good for the long term).

Do I recommend the movie? Yes, I do. Each of us has a responsibility to leave a legacy and part of that is financial. The movie is helpful in many ways, one of which is the reminder of bubbles, again and again and I am not stuck on tulips. I am not and will never be a financial wiz, but I have seen the damage bubbles cause. Kathy and I have been largely blessed to avoid destruction, but it was dumb luck, not brilliance. Great lead in to my classic family friendly question; is it? I did not see any evidence of nudity and sex, didn't see any violence where arms get taken off and blood goes spurting. But there is a certain type of Wall Street violence going down in spades. I do think this is an opportunity for prepared parents to speak with their older children, especially about greed.

Will I watch it again? This was the second time and it is not feeling jaded at all. So yes, this movie stays on the shelf. And I will not kid myself, it is a good reminder to invest with your mind, (and statistics), not your heart. I keep my trading journal online. My journal helps keep me straight, but it is also for my son and brother in law. It is not exciting. It is far more current that the dates on the files indicate. Maybe it will help someone else and I am very open to ideas and suggestions. None of us really know how the market works, not even those guys who play themselves in the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment